Notes from January 20, 2009
From TeraGrid Wiki
January 20, 2009
Topics for discussion
- launching EOT newsletter
- preparing for next EOT highlights document
- TG evaluation process
- Report from Science Advisory Board meeting
- PY5 process
Ange is requesting articles for a monthly newsletter. Please send them to her.
Ange is now collecting stories for the 2009 EOT Highlights document. Please submit articles by April.
Ange will distribute criteria for the impact stories.
TeraGrid evaluation process
Gypsy has been integrating everyone's feedback into the instruments. We are asking for one last round of comments within a week. After that, we will pilot with a few interested sites.
The surveys have internal branching depending how the respondents classify themselves - student, researcher, faculty, etc.
To help people see what each audience will see, Gypsy has created PDFs showing the set of questions each audience member will actually see. The PDFs are posted at http://www.teragridforum.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Evaluation_of_EOT_activities
The instruments include:
- formative surveys that can be used to gather feedback of interest to the event organizers; also appropriate for a short session (an hour to a day in length); each RP may use as is, or adapt this to their specific event
- pre-event survey to create a baseline for longer term studies for multi-day events
- post-event survey to assess skills and knowledge gained at the end of a multi-day event
- 6 month post survey to assess longer-term impact
Science Advisory Board
The Science Advisory Board met January 8-9 in DC. Raw notes from the discussions are posted at: http://www.teragridforum.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Draft_agenda_sent_by_e-mail_12/29/2008_from_Jim_Kinter
We anticipate a final report in the next few weeks.
The SAB had good things to say about Campus Champions, EOT, science highlights, etc. They encourage TeraGrid to continue to engage new communities of users. Much of the discussion was focused on the transition, as we did not learn about the change in plans for extending TeraGrid or delaying XD until the meeting was over.
A question for the EOT group is whether we need a more focused group of people to advise EOT in more depth that the SAB is able to provide. There was a sense that some people feel this would be useful, though it will take additional work and we'd need to work with the SAB.
Scott will follow-up with some sites to get clarification on the PY5 submissions.