Allocations RAT meeting 3 July 2008
From TeraGrid Wiki
←Older revision | Newer revision→
Allocations RAT meeting Thursday 7/3 10-11AM CT
To Join Audio Conference Primary Dial-In: 1 (877) 452-2916 Alternate Dial-In: 1 (630) 693-3222 Passcode: 8115694#
Attendees: Richard, David, Ralph, Craig, Kent, Joe I, John Towns, ...
1) Discuss survey and implications for our recommendations (Craig review analysis)
- In general, there was support for both the current process and the new recommendations.
- Many valuable comments in free-form text, but few that would modify the RAT's recommendations per se.
2) Provide feedback on latest set of "pre-survey" recommendations. (David)
- Ralph commented he thought 2-week turnaround for supplements was an admirable goal but may not be consistently met. Dave said we should at least provide a response in that timeframe, even if it's not a final answer.
- Action item for all: provide final comments on this document to Dave by next Tuesday 7/8. He will produce another iteration prior to his vacation 7/10.
- Action item: Richard/Dave to put RAT report on ARCH agenda for 7/10. Initiate process of getting TG Forum ratification.
3) Discuss transition plan from semi-annual LRAC's to quarterly TRAC's (Kent & Dave)
- Users are on an annual cycle and apply to either the March or September LRAC. As we transition to quarterly meetings, should we pro-actively modify the due dates (e.g. w/ supplements) or let it setlle on its own? Two issues need to be dealt with: leveling the availability of cycles (RP's can try to adapt to this) and ensuring that the competition amongst users is fair at all meetings (since the June/Dec TRAC's will not initially be as heavily subscribed as the Mar/Sept).
- Debate re various pro-active steps which could be taken. Decision not to encourage selected LRAC users to skip a quarter via supplemental award. Did decide to notify current awardees that they could opt to skip a quarter, especially if they have balances left.
- Action: Kent to send a note ASAP to the Sept 2007 LRAC awardees, stating that we will be going to quarterly TRAC's and offering the option to wait until the next quarterly cycle for their proposal. Particularly for those with significant balances left, users may self-select to move to the new cycle.
- Note that Kent needs to also do this in Dec/January for the March 2008 LRAC awardees!
4) Reviewer anonymity (Kent)
- We discussed the issue of whether TRAC committee members should be anonymous. We concluded that while it should not be broadly and intentionally published, it was not realistic to expect reviewer names to remain anonymous, given the ongoing 3-year nature of the assignment and the number of reviewers and other participants in this meeting.
5) Update on eligbility language (Steve?)
- No report back yet on this. It will be part of the "GPG", so does not affect recommendation document.
6) Review Action Items
- 7/2: Craig to analyze and distribute survey results. (Done)
- 7/2: David to update recommendations document and distribute "pre-survey" version. (Done)
- 7/2: Kent & David to recommend a transition plan for semi-annual LRAC's to quarterly TRAC's (phasing large users). (Done)
- 7/9: Kent will utilize current recommendations for recruiting new TRAC members (e.g. OCI, other directorates via OCI, SAB via Dennis G). (In process, will be done even more completely next round)
- 7/9: Sergiu to review and update policies for ASTA resource class per recommendations (e.g. proposal requirements, review criteria, etc.). (Pending)
- 7/9: Craig to review and update policies for all other non-CPU, non-ASTA resource classes (e.g. archival & disk storage, hosting) per recommendations. (Pending)
- 7/9: Richard to draft a TG Forum charter for the TRAC. (Pending)
- 7/9(?): Steve to provide updated eligibility language. (Pending)
- If you are not an RP PI, you should update your PI about the status/deliverables of this RAT to expedite ratification.(Pending)